Wednesday, January 5, 2011

All of the lights, all of the lights.

           Normally, I'm opposed to Kanye West, because, well, he's not very endearing.  However, his music is oddly...poetic.  There is something about it that is catchy enough to land it in the mainstream circuit, but it has a deeper meaning to it.  He does have somewhat of a talent for this musical thing after all.  I cannot deny that (as I usually do).  My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a really great album.  That was my musical aside for the day. Anyway....
           So there's a ton of controversy surrounding the censorship of, in my opinion, a remarkable work of literature: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  Some editions of the book are trying to remove the "n" word.  Now, let me ask you this, can we censor American history?  Slavery and discrimination against African Americans was a part of American history.  How are we to pretend that it never happened?  They say the word is offensive.  Well, as I was reading opinions on the issue, I came across one that stated that slavery is offensive.  That's true.  Slavery was offensive, but we can't censor and remove that from American history can we?  Mark Twain wrote a novel based on the happenings of the south, and of course, they weren't pleasant in that time period in the slightest.  Censoring a book that makes historical references using historical "slang", is censoring history.  What is history, if censored? 
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana.

No comments:

Post a Comment